Thursday, November 14, 2013

ASUU Leaders Chase Gov Wada Out of Hospital Over Late Visit

Angry leaders of the Academic Staff Union of Universities were said to have chased away the Governor of Kogi State, Idris Wada from the emergency ward of the Lokoja General Hospital on Tuesday.

Wada had gone to the hospital to visit their injured colleague, Dr. Ngozi Ilo, and commiserate with them over the death of their former President, Prof. Festus Iyayi, in an accident caused by his convoy.
"Somebody that did not stop after his convoy killed our leader; somebody that did not come to the hospital until some minutes to 5pm (on Tuesday) after the accident that happened around 11am could not be said to be caring. That was why we chased him out of the emergency ward of the hospital and we also prevented him from seeing Prof. Iyayi’s corpse in the mortuary."
The ASUU leaders, including Dr. Biodun Ogunyemi; the Ibadan Zonal Coordinator, Dr. Nassir Adesola; the Chairman, Lagos State University chapter, Dr. Adekunle Idris; and lecturers chased the governor away.

Their grouse was Gov Wada’s late response to the accident and the uncaring attitude he allegedly displayed on the scene towards the union leaders involved in the accident. They also accused him of trying to make a political gain out of their misfortune.

Dr Adekunnle Idris, who confirmed that Wada was chased out of the emergency ward, said, “We are surprised that a state governor could resort to telling lies because contrary to the claim by his spokesperson that he showed care towards our colleagues, he did not.

“We are not happy with the fact that he came very late to the hospital and the fact that when he came, his press crew attempted to take photograph and video record of Dr. Ilo, who is our national welfare secretary. We stopped them because that was the height of insensitivity.

“Somebody that could not provide us with an ambulance cannot be said to be caring. We had to call UNIBEN for an ambulance that took Ilo to the UNIBEN Teaching Hospital while our colleagues from the Federal University, Lokoja, with the assistance of the vice-chancellor, gave us the ambulance that was used to convey the remains of Prof. Iyayi to Benin.”

Governor Wada later left the hospital in shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment